Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Lapdog Experience


        I absolutely loved the Lapdog Experience at Lake Lanier Islands. I've discovered that I have completely gotten rid of my fear of heights that I used to have back in middle school. The turning point of overcoming my fear was riding my first roller coaster in eighth grade. I still had a slight feeling of fear since then, but I realized that I was 100% fearless after the ropes course challenge. Handling leadership can be a little tricky. I'm the kind of person that wants to lead everyone in the right direction, but I also don't want to come off as a "bossy" or arrogant leader. I will usually try to lead in a modest way, by suggesting what I think would be best for the team, and also incorporating others ideas into the team plan. Since I've learned how to overcome my fear of heights, I can do the same with my other fears, like my fear of certain insects. 
During the team objectives, it was hard to trust the others, because I didn't know them very well. I had a little bit of experience with ropes courses, so in my head, it was way easier to trust myself. I believe that you can always learn something new from somebody, even if you think you know more. In that case, I should do more of receiving feedback than giving it. 
The ropes course was a really exciting and fun experience, but I felt like the most fun part of the trip was just joking around and making new friends! There were a lot of diverse individuals there that also had the same taste in life as me, and it was just cool to exchange thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. You exhibited true leadership skills that day at Lake Lanier Islands-I appreciate your 'openess' to new friends, new experiences and opportunities. Download some of the lapdog photos and post on your blog.

    ReplyDelete